Oil for cooking
1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced (1 teaspoon)
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup tomatoes, chopped
1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
1½ cups cooked chickpeas, or 1 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon curry powder
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk (light or full-fat will work)
1 cup water
- In a large pot or wok, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the onion. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until onion begins to soften. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the carrots and tomatoes; stir to combine. Add more oil to the pan if necessary. Partially cover the pot; cook for 5-8 minutes, until carrots become slightly tender.
- Add the pumpkin, chickpeas, curry powder, ginger, salt, pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Stir until fully combined.
- Pour the coconut milk and water into the pot; mix well.
- Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to let it simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the carrots are fully tender.
- Serve over rice, quinoa, buckwheat, or other grain alternative; squeeze a wedge of lime over each serving.
Original Recipes visit: Chickpea Pumpkin Coconut Curry (vegan) @ emilieeats.com