3/4 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature, 12 tablespoons
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup molasses I used Grandma’s molasses
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with Silpat baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter for 30 seconds with electric mixer. Add sugar and beat for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and molasses and beat on medium low speed just until combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Gradually add to the sugar molasses mixture and beat on low until combined.
- Place 1/4 cup of sugar in a shallow bowl. Scoop cookie dough with a medium size (1 and 1/2 tablespoons) cookie scoop and place directly on the sugar. Roll few times and then form into a ball in your hands. Place on a cookie sheet, leaving about 2″ of space between cookies.
- Bake cookies for 9 to 11 minutes (10 minutes was the magic number for me). Remove from oven and let cool 2 minutes on the sheet. Transfer cookies to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to a week.
Original recipe visit: Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies @ crunchycreamysweet.com