1 1 /2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 tablespoon sugar
6 tablespoons melted butter
32 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1⅔ cups sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon pure vanilla
¾ cup heavy whipping cream
40 Kraft caramels, unwrapped
1 can sweetened condensed milk
5 Tablespoons butter
2 cups heavy cream
12 ounces semisweet chocolate bars, chopped (I use Ghirardelli)
Fun-sized Twix bars, optional
- To make crust, combine all ingredients and press into a 9 inch springform pan. Bake at 350º for 8 minutes. Let cool. Keep oven on to bake cheesecake.
- To make cheesecake, using a stand mixer fit with a paddle attachment, beat 1 package of the cream cheese, ⅓ cup of the sugar, and the cornstarch together on low until creamy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Blend in the remaining cream cheese, one package at a time, beating well and scraping down the bowl after each.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat in the remaining sugar, then the vanilla.Mix in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in the cream just until completely blended.
- The filling will look light, creamy, airy, and almost like billowy clouds. Be careful not to overmix.
- Gently scrape out the the batter onto the crust. Wrap the sides of the pan in aluminum foil.
- Place the cake pan in a large shallow pan containing hot water that comes halfway (about 1 inch) up the side of the springform pan. Bake until the top is a very light golden brown and the center barely jiggles, about 1¼ hours. Remove the cheesecake from the water bath, transfer to a wire rack, and let cool for 2 hours. Chill until cold.
- To make the caramel, combine all in a heat proof bowl and microwave in 1 minute intervals until completely smooth and blended. Stir after each minute. Let cool a bit. You will only need about half of the caramel for this cheesecake.
- To make the ganache, heat the cream just to a boil and pour over the chocolate in a heat proof bowl. Let sit 2 minutes. Stir until chocolate is melted.
- To assemble the cheesecake, pour about half the caramel into the center where the center has deflated down a bit. Chill just to firm up the caramel. (Note: I totally forget this caramel step!) Pour on the chocolate ganache and chill several hours or overnight. Top with fun-sized Twix bars if desired.
- To serve, carefully remove the springform pan sides. Cut into slices and serve with caramel sauce.
*Making my microwave caramel sauce is an alternative to this caramel recipe, but it won’t be as thick.
I forgot to add the caramel sauce before the ganache. If you do add a caramel layer, it will ooze out a bit when you slice this cheesecake.
Original Recipes visit: Chocolate Caramel Twix Cheesecake @ thatskinnychickcanbake.com