For the Lasagna Soup
4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup dried brown lentils
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
8 lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
3 cups chopped spinach leaves
For the Vegan Pesto Ricotta
1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water 4 to 8 hours, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup unflavored soy or almond milk
1/4 pound extra firm tofu, drained
3 to 4 tablespoons prepared vegan pesto (to taste)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
Make the Lasagna Soup
- Place broth, onion, garlic, basil, oregano and lentils into slow cooker and stir a few times to blend. Set the slow cooker to high and cover. Allow to cook until lentils are just a bit on the firm side, about 2 hours.
- Add diced and crushed tomatoes to the slow cooker and stir. Allow to continue cooking on high for 2 to 3 hours more.
- Add noodles and spinach to the slow cooker and give the mixture a stir. Allow to cook until noodles are tender and spinach is wilted, about 12 minutes.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
Make the Vegan Pesto Ricotta
- Place cashews, and milk into food processor and blend until smooth. Add tofu and pulse a few times, just until the mixture takes on a ricotta-like texture. Add pesto to taste, lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide soup into bowls, and top each with a dollop of vegan pesto ricotta. Serve.
You may have some extra ricotta. It will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days, or you can freeze it. Use it as a pasta or salad topper, or save it for another batch of soup.
Original Recipes visit: Slow Cooker Vegan Lasagna Soup @ connoisseurusveg.com