Lamb Rogan Josh
1.5 lbs Lamb (boneless lamb, cubed)
2 Potatoes (medium potato, cut in 11.5″ cubes)
1 tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
1/2 Cup Yogurt
2 tsp Degi Mirch (or 1/2 tsp cayenne + 1 tsp paprika, mixed with 2 tbsp water)
1/2 Cup Red Onion (or shallot, very small chopped or grated)
3 tbsp Canola Oil
1.5 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste (4 garlic cloves + 1 inch ginger, grated)
1/4 tsp Turmeric (powder)
1 tsp Coriander Powder
Whole Spice Blend (or use 1.5 tsp Garam Masala)
2 Bay Leaf
6 Cardamom (2 whole black and 4 green cardamoms )
1 tsp Fennel Seeds
1 Whole Dry Red Pepper (red chili,(sabut lal mirch))
1 Mace (Javitri) (1 blade)
- Heat oil in a wide heavy bottom skillet. Add chopped onion and saute until brown (810 minutes).
- While onions are cooking, gather all dried whole spices and mix paprika + cayenne (or degi mirch if using) in water to make chili paste.
- Once onion are brown, add whole spices (or garam masala if using), gingergarlic paste, chili pasta, coriander powder, turmeric powder and saute for 1 minute.
- Now, add lamb, then saute for 2 more minute or until pink color of lamb is gone.
- Lower the heat, add yogurt in 3 batches and mix well after each addition to avoid curdling. Remove from heat.
- Slow Cooker Method: Transfer lamb and spice mixture to slow cooker with diced potato, 1.5 cups water, and salt. Cover the lid and cook on slow for 5 hrs or until lamb is tender.
- Pressure Cooker Method: Transfer lamb and spice mixture to pressure cooker with diced potato, 2.5 cups water, and salt. Close the lid and pressure cook for 15 minutes or until lamb is tender to your liking.
- Add fresh chopped cilantro leaves into cooked lamb. Fish out whole spices if still intact.
- Serve with rice or traditional Indian Naan bread.
Original Recipes and Notes of recipe visit: Lamb Rogan Josh – Indian Kashmiri Mutton (Lamb) Curry @ chefdehome.com