9 ounces cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes [2 sticks + 2 tablespoons]
1.5 cups all purpose flour
¼ + ⅛ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons water, very cold
¾ teaspoon cider vinegar
- In the steel bowl of your stand mixer whisk together flour and salt.
- Cut butter into small cubes and transfer it to the mixer bowl.
- Toss with your hands until the butter is coated. Cover and chill the bowl for around 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Fit the bowl into your stand mixer with the paddle attachment and blend on low speed for around 1.5 minutes [the butter will break]. You don’t want to overmix here.
- With the mixer running on low speed, add the water-vinegar mixture.
- In around 15 seconds, you will see that dough starts coming together in large chunks but it will not look smooth. Turn off the mixer at this stage.
- Dump the mixture on your work surface that has been dusted with flour.
- Bring the dough together, working with your hands. Give a few whacks with your rolling pin, this makes it easier to roll the dough.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle.
- Remove any excess flour from the dough. Now make a letter fold by bringing both sides of the dough in the center.
- Use your rolling pin to join the two ends and make a smooth surface.
- Now fold again to form a log. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 20-25 minutes.
- Repeat this turning and folding step 2 more times, chilling the dough for 20 minutes between each turn.
- Wrap the dough and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 48 hours before using. You can also freeze the dough and it will stay good for around 6 weeks.
Original Recipes visit: Easy Puff Pastry @ cookwithmanali.com