1 box fudge brownie mix
¼ cup water
½ cup vegetable or canola oil
2 large eggs
One 4-ounce German chocolate bar, finely chopped
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cubed
One 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
One 16-ounce tub frozen whipped topping, such as Cool-Whip, thawed
Chocolate curls, for decorating (optional)
- Prepare and bake the brownies according to the package directions. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Microwave the German chocolate pieces and butter together in a large microwave-safe bowl on high for 30 seconds. Stir, and then melt for another 15 seconds. Stir until smooth and melted.
- Beat in the cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar until combined. Fold in half the whipped topping (8 ounces).
- Spread the French silk filling over the brownies. Top with the remaining whipped topping and garnish with chocolate curls, if using.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or until set, before cutting into squares.
- Total time varies depending on brand of brownie mix. I used a Ghirardelli mix and made these in a 9 x 9-inch baking pan. The smaller pan made for a thicker topping, but if you want to feed a crowd, make sure your brownie mix has baking instructions for a 9 x 13-inch pan. I bought mine without checking!
- I used a Cool Whip substitute made with cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla.
Original recipe visit: French Silk Pie Brownies @ thatskinnychickcanbake.com