1 yellow onion diced
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic minced
1 lb ground turkey
1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
2 roma or plum tomatoes diced
1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
1 oz – 14 . can red kidney beans thoroughly rinsed
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 – 14 oz . can tomato sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp paprika
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 – 1 tsp cayenne pepper depending on desired heat level – I use 1/2 tsp
1 oz . 100% cacao Baker’s Chocolate
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Dice onion, red pepper, jalapeno and mince garlic. Set aside.
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, add oil and heat to medium low, add onions and saute around 5 minutes or so, stirring often.
- Add minced garlic and cook, stirring often for 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium or medium high and add ground turkey, cook until browned, crumbling into small pieces (use a potato masher if desired).
- Add diced jalalpenos, red peppers, tomatoes and saute for 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock, tomato sauce, and apple cider vinegar and stir.
- Add in remaining ingredients and stir.
- Simmer over medium-low heat for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Chili will thicken. If you notice it getting too thick for your tastes, add a splash of chicken stock as needed.
- Turn heat off after the 40 minutes has passed and let rest on the stove for another 5 minutes before serving.
- Top with optional green onion, cheese (monterey jack, cheddar, etc), sour cream, minced cilantro, diced avocado, and more diced tomatoes. (or whatever toppings you prefer)
I would suggest doubling this recipe… if you do so, you’ll need a pretty deep pot (like a stock pot) to cook it in
Original Recipes visit: Heart Healthy Turkey Chili @ thechunkychef.com