2 ½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbsp. ghee (we recommend Pure Indian Foods)
1 medium onion, diced
1 small red pepper, diced
8 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 jalapenos, minced (optional; seeds and membranes removed for less heat)
1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. taco seasoning (such as our Whole30 Taco Seasoning recipe)
½ tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. sea salt
3-4 cupsWhole30-compliant chicken broth (or homemade broth)
1 28-ounce can fire roasted crushed tomatoes (may substitute diced tomatoes)
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Diced avocado and lime wedges for serving
- Place a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add ghee.
- When ghee is melted, nestle chicken breasts into the bottom of the Dutch oven in a single layer. Cook 5-7 minutes then flip and cook an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Push chicken breasts to the side (stacking them is okay), add onions, red peppers, jalapenos, taco seasoning, cumin and sea salt. Stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes or until onion and peppers start to soften.
- Add 3 cups broth and crushed tomatoes. Bring soup just to a boil then cover and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook 20 minutes until vegetables are tender and chicken breasts are cooked through.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and allow to cool before shredding with two forks. Add additional broth, if needed, to reach desired consistency.
- Return shredded chicken to pot and stir. Add cilantro and lime juice.
- Serve with diced avocado and lime wedges.
Original Recipes visit: Chicken Tortilla-less Soup @ therealfoodrds.com