2 T. olive oil
1 small, sweet onion, coarsely chopped
1 lb. ground turkey, (I used 93/7)
4 c. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
2 T. chili powder
2 t. cumin
1 t. paprika (can use smoked paprika if you prefer)
2 t. salt
¾ t. pepper
1/8 t. cinnamon
28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 c. chicken broth or water
1-15 oz. can sweet whole kernel corn, drained
1-15 oz. can black beans, drained
Corn chips (optional)
Sour cream (optional)
Cooked rice (optional)
- In a large saucepan, or large shallow pot, drizzle olive oil. Add onions and saute over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Push onions to the side and add ground turkey. Continue cooking over medium heat for 6-8 minutes, or until turkey is almost cooked through.
- Add sweet potatoes and saute for another 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine chili powder, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Pour crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and pre-mixed seasoning ingredients into the chili mixture. Mix chili thoroughly and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover pot and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add drained corn and black beans. Cover and simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Check to see if sweet potatoes are fork-tender before serving. If you would like a slightly thicker chili, mash some of the sweet potatoes to help thicken it.
- Serve chili over rice with corn chips, cilantro and sour cream and enjoy!
Original Recipes visit: Healthy Sweet Potato Ground Turkey Chili @ glutenfreewithlb.com