220 g fresh spinach leaves,, trimmed, washed – about 6 cups. It makes about 160g (2/3 cup) of cooked, squeezed and packed spinach
3 eggs, size 6
1/2 cup (60g) grated cheese – I used noble cheedar from Mainland
1 cup (75g) Gluten Free Panko Crumbs,
1/4 cup fresh herbs of your choice – I used coriander
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Trim and wash the fresh spinach leaves.
- Place the leaves into a saucepan, add salt and cover with boiling water. Cover and set aside for 3 minutes.
- Rinse the spinach with cold tap water. Drain using your hands to squeeze all the remaining water. You should obtain about 2/3 cup (160g) of packed cooked spinach leaves. If you are using frozen spinach, defrost and measure this quantity.
- Place on a chop board and finely chop the cooked spinach. Transfer into a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, cheese, herbs and panko gluten free crumbs. You can also add salt and pepper if your cheese is not very salty. I did not add salt.
- Combine with a spoon or your hands, until it forms a batter from which you are able to form balls with your hands or use a small cookie scoop maker to avoid the mess
- If too moist add slightly more crumb until easy to roll as ball with your hands palms.
- Place the balls on a non-stick cookie tray covered with baking paper.
- Bake at 180C for 15-20 minutes or until golden on the top.
- Serve immediately or cold in luchboxes.
- Serve with dips of your choice like pesto, hummus or homemade ketchup.
Original Recipes visit: Spinach Balls @ sweetashoney.co.nz