1 cup butter, softened
1⅓ cup granulated sugar
2 cups buttermilk (see Note for easy substitution)
1 teaspoon salt
1¼ cups cornmeal (found by the flour)
2¾ cups flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the buttermilk, eggs, and salt and mix until combined. Add cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix to combine.
- Pour into prepared baking dish. Bake until golden. Mine bakes for about 25 minutes but start checking it after 20 minutes.
- Serve warm with butter and honey.
- Buttermilk Substitution: If you don’t have buttermilk you can add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to each cup of milk and let it sit for a couple of minutes.
- This can easily be halved and baked in a 9×9 pan.
Original Recipes visit: The Best Sweet Cornbread @ the-girl-who-ate-everything.com