5 large eggs, separated
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons oil, I used canola oil
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
¾ cup nutella, slightly melted
⅓ cup finely chopped strawberries
powdered sugar, to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spray a 15 x 10 inch jelly roll pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper as well. Set a side.
- Start beating the egg whites using the wire whisk attachment of your stand mixer or use your hand mixer. Use cream of tartar when the egg whites begin to foam a little.
- Beat the egg whites till they form peaks and appear glossy. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix together egg yolks with sugar, oil and vanilla extract.
- Beat the egg yolk and sugar mixture for 4-5 minutes on medium speed till it turns pale and creamy.
- Add flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- Mix to form a smooth batter, scrap down the sides as required.
- Gently fold in the egg whites in 3 parts.
- Mix till you have a smooth cake better.
- Transfer batter to the prepared jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 F degrees for 15-18 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched.
- While the cake is the oven, generously sprinkle powdered sugar over a kitchen towel.
- Once the cake is done, take it out of the oven and immediately flip in on the prepared kitchen towel. Peel the parchment paper and roll the cake and towel together. Let it cool completely.
- Once the cake has completely cooled down, heat the nutella a little so that it’s easier to spread.
- Unroll the cake gently. Spread nutella all over the cake and then add chopped strawberries.
- Roll the cake again carefully. Wrap in a plastic sheet and refrigerate for an hour before serving.
- When ready to serve, dust it some powdered sugar and place fresh strawberries on top. Cut into slices and enjoy the chocolate nutella cake roll!
Original Recipe and Notes of recipe visit: Chocolate Nutella Cake Roll @ cookwithmanali.com