Low fat cooking spray
1 large onion sliced
2 medium carrots peeled and sliced
½. tsp dried thyme
400 g tin peeled plum tomatoes
140 g frozen sweetcorn
140 g frozen peas
450 ml chicken stock
2 tbsp cornflour mixed to a paste with 2 tbsp. cold water
450 g chicken breast fillets cut into bite size chunks
Freshly ground salt and pepper to season
- Spray the bottom of a casserole dish about 5 times with the cooking spray, place over a high heat, and then once the oil starts to bubble turn the heat down a little, add the sliced onion and sauté for about 4 minutes.
- Add the carrots and continue to cook everything for a further 2 – 3 minutes.
- Stir in the dried thyme and cook for a further minute.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, sweetcorn and peas and combine everything together well.
- Add the chicken stock and corn flour paste. Bring everything to the boil and then turn down allowing to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and allow to cook for about 15 – 20 minutes. Check the chicken is cooked by cutting a piece in half, to check it’s not still pink inside.
- Serve with a little whole grain rice or a few new baby potatoes.
Original recipe and nutrition facts visit: Quick Healthy Chicken Stew @ neilshealthymeals.com