4-5 medium sweet potatoes
1 cup dry lentils
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
½ cup carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
1 batch Healthy Barbecue Sauce (see below), or 1 cup store-bought barbecue sauce
Avocado sauce (optional):
⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
½ teaspoon hot sauce
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet; bake for 1 to 1.5 hours, until they are tender and oozing.
- In a large pot, add 3 cups water; bring to a boil. Add lentils; bring water back to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 15-20 minutes, until lentils are tender. Remove from pot and set aside.
- In the same pot over medium heat, warm oil. Add chopped onion and carrots; cook for 5-7 minutes, until tender and browned. Add garlic; cook for one more minute.
- Add all the ingredients for the Healthy Barbecue Sauce (or 1 cup store-bought sauce) into the pot; stir until all the veggies are coated. Bring to a boil; cover, and reduce to simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Add the lentils to the sauce; stir to combine. Add more water if needed.
- In a blender or food processor, add avocado, milk, hot sauce, onion powder garlic powder, and pepper.
- Slice the potatoes down the middle; top with sautéed vegetables (optional). Spoon the lentil filling into each sweet potato. Top with optional avocado sauce.
Original recipe visit: Barbecue Lentil Stuffed Sweet Potatoes @ emilieeats.com