2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup diced onion (approx one small-medium onion)
1 cup diced carrot (approx two carrots)
1 cup diced parsnip (approx two parsnips, peeled)
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
2 large cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup uncooked green lentils, rinsed and drained
1 bunch sage (about 5 leaves), chopped
1 bunch thyme (about 3-4 sprigs), chopped
2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
Salt and pepper to taste
3 lbs. cauliflower florets (approx 3 heads cauliflower)
1/3 cup almond milk
3 tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- In a dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and parsnip and cook for 7-10 minutes, or until onions are translucent and veggies are slightly tender. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Stir in garlic and mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes (stirring occasionally), or until mushrooms are tender and lightly browned.
- Add vegetable broth, lentils, thyme and sage. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 35- 45 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- To thicken the lentil mixture, add cornstarch or arrowroot to a heaping spoonful of the lentil mixture in a separate bowl. Whisk together. Add thickened mixture back to the pot and whisk in. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Meanwhile, steam cauliflower florets until fork tender and transfer to a food processor (you may need to do this in batches depending on size of food processor). Add almond milk, vegan buttery spread and pulse to a smooth and creamy puree. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer lentil mixture to a 9×13 baking dish or 2 qt baking dish. Carefully spread mashed cauliflower evenly over top.
- Bake at 425 for 10 minutes and then transfer to under the broiler for 5 minutes, or until cauliflower is crispy and starting to turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool briefly before serving.
Original recipe visit: Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Mashed Cauliflower @ karalydon.com