2 tablespoons flax meal + 5 tablespoons water
1¾ cups oat flour
¼ cup rolled oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup applesauce
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted, or grapeseed oil
¾ cup almond milk
¼ cup coconut sugar
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
¾ cup-1 cup carrots, grated or finely chopped
¼ cup walnuts, chopped
¼ cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil liners, or lightly grease the pan.
- In a medium bowl, place the flax meal and water. Mix; set aside in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the oat flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt until there are no chunks.
- When the flax egg is ready, add applesauce, oil, milk, sugar, and vanilla to the bowl. Whisk until fully combined.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients; pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture. Stir together until the batter is just mixed, but do not overmix. You may have a few lumps; that’s okay.
- Add the carrots, raisins, and walnuts and stir just a couple more times until mixed together.
- Pour the batter into the muffin cups ¾ of the way up each cup.
- Bake for 7 minutes at 425°F, then bake at 375°F for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes.
Store these in an airtight container or bag at room temperature or refrigerated for up to 4 days. These can also be frozen and defrosted.
Original recipe visit: Carrot Cake Oat Muffins (vegan + gluten-free) @ emilieeats.com