6 Churro Bowls (using this recipe)
Apple Pie Filling: (or use store bought)
5 large apples (red or granny smith — your choice), diced into 1/2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
Easy Caramel Sauce: (or use store bought)
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup thickened cream (or heavy cream)
- Make Churro Bowls using this recipe.
- While Churros are baking, prepare apple pie filing: combine apples into a medium-sized saucepan with the lemon juice. Mix well and set aside.
- Whisk the cornstarch and water together until lump free. Pour the mixture into a medium-sized heavy based saucepan over medium heat. Quickly add in the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, and whisk again to combine. Bring to a boil while whisking continuously, until mixture begins to thicken. Add in the diced apple, give them a quick stir through the mixture; reduce heat down to low and cover pan with a lid. Allow to cook, covered, for about 8-10 minutes, while stirring occasionally, until soft. Apples should be soft but not mushy.
- Take off the heat completely while covered with the lid, and allow to cool down to room temperature.
- Fill each Churro Cup / Bowl with the apple pie filling; top with ice cream (optional), and drizzle with caramel sauce.
Easy Caramel Sauce
- Combine brown sugar and heavy cream into a small-medium sized saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar is just beginning to melt through the cream. Add the butter; allow it to melt completely and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook until the sauce thickens, (about 8 minutes). Remove from heat; allow to cool slightly (t will continue to thicken while cooling down), and drizzle over Apple Pie Churros.
Original recipe visit: Churro Apple Pie Bowls + Caramel Sauce @ cafedelites.com