Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes Recipe – These Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes are to die for! Moist vanilla cake, pastry cream filling and a beautiful chocolate ganache topping make this one tasty cupcake you’ll definitely want to sink your teeth into.
Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes Recipe
Yield: 12-14 Cupcakes
6 tbsp (84g), unsalted butter, room temperature (I use Challenge Butter)
3/4 cups (155g) sugar
6 tbsp (86g) sour cream, room temperature
2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract
3 large egg whites, room temperature
1 1/4 cups (163g) all purpose flour
2 tsp (8g) baking powder
¼ tsp salt
6 tbsp (90ml) milk, room temperature
2 tbsp (30ml) water, room temperature
PASTRY CREAM FILLING
2 egg yolks
6 tbsp (78g) sugar
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup + 2 tbsp (270ml) milk
1 tbsp (14g) salted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
12 oz (338g) semi sweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp (30ml) light corn syrup
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp (210ml) heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light in color and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Do not skimp on the amount of creaming time.
- Add sour cream and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Add egg whites in two batches, mixing until well combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then combine the milk and water in a small measuring cup.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until well combined. Add the milk mixture and mix until well combined. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Fill the cupcake liners about halfway. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
- While the cupcakes cool, make the pastry cream. Put the egg yolks in a medium sized bowl and gently beat them together. Set aside.
- Add the sugar, cornstarch and milk to a large saucepan and mix until smooth. READ MORE
Recipe by: lifeloveandsugar.com