Servings 2 loaves (or 8 buns)
2 ¼ tsp yeast
1 cup warm water 105-110 degrees F
2 TBS whole milk
3 TBS brown sugar
4 TBS butter melted
1 tsp salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
4 quarts water
½ cup baking soda
Kosher salt to taste
2 TBS butter melted
1-2 TBS coarse sea salt
- Combine yeast, water, and brown sugar in the bowl of your standing mixer fitted with the dough hook. Let stand for 5 minutes (until foamy).
- While yeast is proofing…melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Mix in milk and set aside.
- Once yeast is proofed, add milk/butter to yeast mixture and mix on low speed with dough hook until just combined.
- Add salt and flour and mix with dough hook until flour is fully incorporated.
- Knead in your mixer until the dough forms a slightly tacky, but firm ball, you may need to add a little more flour 1 TBS at a time, but be careful, you want your dough a little tacky but not too sticky to handle.
- Oil a large bowl, place the dough ball in the bowl, and cover with a damp towel in a warm place to let rise for one hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and bring the 4 quarts of water to a boil. When the water is boiling, slowly add the baking soda (Be careful or you will have a baking soda/water explosion)!
- Remove the dough from the bowl and gently press out the air bubbles.
- Visit Homemade Pretzel Bread @ joyfoodsunshine.com for full instructions.