1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
1 cup salted butter, melted
1 egg yolk
6 Tbsp evaporated milk or half and half
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Hershey’s brand is best!)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup homemade caramel sauce (or you can use store-bought)
2 cups mini marshmallows
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans (optional)
1 batch warm chocolate frosting
For the chocolate frosting:
2 1/2 Tbsp butter
2 1/2 Tbsp milk
2 1/2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl add granulated and brown sugars and melted butter. Beat until well combined. Add eggs and egg yolk, beating after each addition. Add milk and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix just until combined. The batter will be thick. Pour batter into a greased 9×13” baking pan and spread into an even layer.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes and then poke holes all over with the a chopstick or the handle part of a spoon. Pour 1/2 cup caramel sauce over the top and use a spatula to spread it all over and into the holes. Refrigerate brownies for about one hour to allow the caramel to set.
- Heat oven to HIGH broil. Sprinkle nuts (if using) across the top of the brownies. Then spread the marshmallows across the top of the brownies. Place in the oven for 1-2 minutes or until the marshmallows just begin to puff a little (you don’t want to leave them in too long!). Remove from oven. Prepare chocolate frosting.
- For the frosting: Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add milk and cocoa powder and whisk well. Cook for about 2-3 more minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture has thickened slightly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and powdered sugar. (You can use an electric mixer to make the frosting smooth). Drizzle warm frosting over the marshmallows–I do this by pouring the frosting into a large ziplock bag, snipping the corner off and then drizzling it over the brownies. Use the same technique for the remaining caramel sauce and drizzle it over the chocolate frosting. Refrigerate until frosting has set.
*Tip for serving- use a plastic knife to cut the brownies (it wont stick as much as a regular knife!). Have a damp paper towel or rag on hand to wipe the knife clean after each cut.
Original recipe and more pictures visit: Caramel Poke Rocky Road Brownies @ tastesbetterfromscratch.com