2 cups granulated sugar
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup cocoa powder or Hershey’s Special Dark powder
1½ tsp baking powder
1½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
½ cup vegetable oil
1½ tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water (I used hot, strong coffee)
8 Tbsp butter or margarine, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
⅔ cup cocoa powder or Hershey’s Special Dark powder
⅓ cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 8-inch baking pans.
- Stir together all dry ingredients to a large bowl.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla and beat on medium speed about 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans to a wire racks and let to cool completely.
- Beat butter in medium bowl until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk, beating to spreading consistency. If necessary, add a bit of milk to reach desired consistency.
- Stir in vanilla. You will get about 2 cups of frosting.
- Place first layer of cake on cake plate. Spread about ½ cup of frosting on top in an even layer.
- Add second layer of cake and add frosting on top in an even layer.
- Add final layer of cake on top and frost the outside of the cake.
- Finish off with chocolate curls or other decoration, and set in a fridge for a few hours before serving.
Original Recipes visit: Dark Chocolate Cake @ cakescottage.com