1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp buttermilk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Gel food coloring: black, purple, teal, and blue
4 oz, 1/2 package, cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
2 cups cool whip
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
black gel food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a jelly roll pan (15×10) with parchment paper and spray the paper with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix and set aside. In a larger mixing bowl, beat all 4 eggs on high with an electric mixer for 3 minutes. The eggs will turn pale yellow. Continuing beating the mixture as you slowly add the sugar. Add in the vegetable oil, buttermilk, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla, beat lightly. Spoon in the flour mixture, mixing until it’s just incorporated. Divide the batter among 4 bowls. Add a small amount of gel food coloring to each bowl, mixing with a spoon until the color is even. The colors we used were purple, blue, teal and black. Rotating through the colors, drizzle the batter into the pan, making swirls.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes or until the cake is springy to the touch. Note: while baking lay a towel on a flat surface. Dust the towel with a generous amount of powered sugar. This is to prevent the cake from sticking to the towel.
- Once the cake is done baking, immediately turn it over onto the towel. Roll the cake around the towel. Place the rolled up cake on a rack to cool completely.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar until fluffy with an electric mixer, 1-2 minutes. Add in the cool whip and mix gently with a spatula.
- Once the cake is completely cool, unroll the towel. Spread the filling over the cake roll, leaving about a 1/2 inch gap around the edges. Roll the cake roll back up and place it on a tray, seam side down, in the fridge to chill. The longer you let it chill the easier it will be to slice.
- Place chocolate chips in a medium heat-proof bowl. In a small pot over low heat, heat the heavy whipping cream until just before boiling. Add in a small amount of black gel food coloring, mixing with a spatula. Pour the heavy cream over the chocolate chips. Allow the mixture to stand for 1-2 minutes. Use a spatula to stir the mixture until smooth. Allow the ganache to come to room temperature before adding it to the cake.
- To add the ganache, place the cake roll on a rack, pour the ganache over the cake and use a spoon or spatula to cover up any areas that don’t have chocolate. Add the sprinkles. Return to the fridge to chill for 20 minutes before slicing. Slice and serve. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.
Original Recipes visit: Galaxy Cake Roll @ thefirstyearblog.com