The Best Gingerbread Roll Cake Recipe – Moist gingerbread roll cake filled with spiced creamy filling. A delicious twist on the traditional Christmas gingerbread cake.
Gingerbread Roll Cake – Moist gingerbread roll cake filled with spiced creamy filling. A delicious twist on the traditional Christmas gingerbread cake
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) sugar
- 1 cup (120 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- powder sugar (for dusting)
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) heavy cream
- 1/3 cup (40 grams) powder sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Line a 15X10 jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan (and the paper) and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 375F.
- In a mixing bowl beat the egg yolks on high speed until thickened, about 3 minutes. Add the molasses, honey and melted butter and mix well.
- In a clean grease free bowl, with a clean whisk, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly add the sugar and continue whisking until firm peaks form.
- Carefully fold into the egg yolks mixture.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, salt and spices above the egg mixture, slowly folding in making sure you don’t lose all the air that was incorporated with the egg whites.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 11 minutes or until top springs back with touched.
- Cool in the pan for about 3 minutes.
- In the meantime heavily sprinkle powder sugar on a damp tea towel.
- Carefully turn the pan allowing the cake to rest now on the prepared tea towel. Remove the pan and gently peel the parchment paper.
- Roll up the cake, starting with the short side. I actually find it easier to roll it with the towel as well, although some advise to peel the towel as you roll. Either way it’s fine.
- Cool completely.
- In the meantime make the filling.
- In a clean grease free mixing bowl combine the heavy cream, sugar and cinnamon and start whisking, on low speed first, slowly increasing to medium speed and whisk until firm peaks form.
- Unmold the cake, gently peeling the towel and spread 2/3 of the filling over the cake. Roll it again (this time without the towel). Spread the remaining filling on top of the cake.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon (optional)
- Let sit for a couple of hours before serving.
- Slice and enjoy!
Keywords: gingerbread roll cake, roll cakes, cakes, desserts