1 red pepper
6 small slices of Mozzarella Ball
4 slices of Italian bread
1 tsp of balsamic vinegar
For the Arugula Pesto Spread
1/2 cup of split cashews (unsalted)
2 tsp of nutritional yeast
2 cups of arugula (loosely packed)
1 tsp of salt
2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1 Thai chili (optional)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees
- On a baking tray, place one red pepper and put it in the heated oven
- Let it roast for about 15-20 minutes. Rotate it at about the 7 minute mark and remove when all sides have charred black. The air on the inside of the red pepper is being pushed out, so, don’t be surprised if it collapses on itself.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool. Set the oven to 450 degrees.
- While the red pepper is roasting, prepare the arugula pesto spread
- When the red pepper has cooled to the touch, remove the charred skin. You can use a tea towel or just remove it with your fingers
- Cut the pepper into half and de-seed it. Cut it into long strips and set aside
- Take a mozzarella ball and slice it into thin pieces. I used about 3 slices per sandwich
- Take 4 slices of Italian bread and spread the pesto on one side.
- Take one slice and with the arugula pesto side up and layer with the red pepper first.
- Use a brush and lightly brush the top of the red pepper with balsamic vinegar. You don’t need more than a 1/2 tsp per sandwich
- Add the Mozzarella slices and close the with another bread slice. The pesto side should be touching the mozzarella
- Take a skillet that can also be put in the oven and heat it on the stove top at medium heat
- Lightly spray with butter spray and gently place the sandwich on it
- Cook on each side for about 2-4 minutes on medium heat. It should be slightly browned when you flip it over. You can make 2 sandwiches at a time on the skillet.
- Place the skillet with the sandwich in the oven for about 5-7 minutes. You will start to hear the cheese crackling and that is a good sign that it is ready
- Remove from the oven and use a spatula to plate it.
- Serve this fresh Mozzarella Cheese Sandwich immediately
- To Make The Arugula Pesto Spread
- In a food processor, add 1/2 cup of split cashews. Use unsalted cashews which are easy to find in Indian grocery stores or Warehouse stores
- Add 2 tsp of nutritional yeast and process on low speed until it is roughly chopped
- For this recipe, I used 2 cups of arugula. However, I added it to the food processor in 4 portion. Once each portion was partially processed, add the next batch.
- After adding the last portion of the arugula, add 1 tsp of salt, 2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and 1 Thai chili. Blend everything until it is smooth.
- Transfer to a glass bottle and store. It will stay refrigerated for about 2 weeks
Original Recipes visit: Mozzarella Cheese Sandwich With Roasted Red Pepper @ healingtomato.com