Peppermint Chocolate Bundt Cake
Peppermint Chocolate Bundt Cake – The deeply chocolate cake emerges from the oven moist and tender, perfumed with peppermint. I love the contrast of the white peppermint glaze against the dark cake, and crushed peppermint candy canes add the perfect finish. This is one holiday cake I’ll be baking year after year.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Yield: 1 bundt cake 1x
- 1 cup boiling water
- 6 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp peppermint extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
Glaze & Topping
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 to 2 Tbsp low-fat milk
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/8 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 peppermint candy canes, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°F and coat a 12-cup bundt pan with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together boiling water and cocoa, then set aside to cool.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter, sugar, and peppermint extract in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until well blended (about 3 minutes); add eggs one at a time and beat well.
- Whisk yogurt into cooled cocoa mixture.
- Add half of flour mixture to sugar mixture and beat until just combined.
- Add cocoa mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula; tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles.
- Bake 34 to 35 minutes, until cake begins to pull away from edges of pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; carefully invert onto rack and cool completely.
- For the glaze, combine powdered sugar, milk, butter, and peppermint extract in a small bowl. Place wire rack with cooled cake over a piece of wax paper; drizzle cake with glaze and sprinkle with crushed candy canes; let set before serving.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keywords: bundt cake, cakes, desserts, christmas