For The Salad:
1 C Quinoa rinsed under running water, 194g
1 3/4 C Water 420g
1/2 C Pepitas 72g
1/2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 tsp + 1/8 Sea Salt divided
1/4 tsp Hot Smoky Paprika
1, 15 oz Can of Black Beans rinsed, 425g
3/4 C Purple Onion diced, about 1/2 an onion, 70g
2 C Mangos diced, 330g
2 C Baby Spinach chopped and packed, 88g
4 Tbs Cilantro finely chopped
2 Avocados diced just before serving
For The Dressing (makes 1/2 C):
1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 in Chipotle Pepper adobo sauce*
2 tsp Adobo Sauce
1 Tbs + 1 tsp Lime Juice fresh squeezed
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
1/4 tsp Ground Cumin
15 Stems of Fresh Cilantro leafless stem part removed
1/4 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil 48g
For the Salad:
- In a small saucepot, bring quinoa and water to a boil, turn to low and simmer uncovered for 13-14 minutes. Remove from heat, stir, cover and let set for 5 minutes. The quinoa is ready when all the water is absorbed,and the quinoa is tender with it’s ‘tails’ showing. Remove lid and place in refrigerator while the rest of the salad is being prepared.
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C). Toss pepitas with olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt and paprika. Toast pepitas for about 8 minutes. They will be slightly golden and fragrant when ready. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl combine the quinoa, beans, onion, mangos, spinach, cilantro, pepitas and the remaining 1/4 + 1/8 tsp salt.
For the Dressing:
- In a food processor, combine the apple cider vinegar, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, lime juice, salt, cumin and cilantro. With the processor on, pour in the olive oil. Process until smooth.
- Before serving drizzle 3/4 of the dressing over the salad and mix well. Taste to see if more dressing is desired and adjust as needed. Add a few twists of fresh ground pepper and adjust salt as needed. If time is available, dress the salad about an hour before service. The flavors will come together as it sets in the fridge.
- Just before serving, dice the avocado and gently toss into the salad. Store the salad in a lidded container for up to two days.
*Find chipotle pepper in adobo sauce in the Mexican food section of the grocery store. Store leftover chipotle pepper in adobo sauce in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or in the freezer for up to one month.
Original recipe and more pictures visit: Quinoa Mango Black Bean Salad with Smoky Pepitas and Chipotle Lime Vinaigrette @ vanillaandbean.com