2 15- oz cans diced tomatoes
1 10- oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup fresh basil finely chopped
2 cloves large garlic minced
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 onion diced
1 cup heavy cream
4 cups chicken broth or vegetable stock to make it vegetarian
2 cups Parmesan cheese shredded
For the Roux:
3 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, onion, basil, salt, pepper, heavy cream and vegetable or chicken broth to your crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (although it can be done on high for 2 hours as well). Stir occasionally and scrape down the sides (if you can).
- minutes before serving, transfer soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Return to crockpot.
- Make your roux by melting your butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add the flour and whisk until it’s incorporated. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream until the cream is smooth and thickened.
- Add Parmesan cheese and roux to the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cook for another 20-30 minutes. Cheese should be completely melted into the soup. Stir thoroughly before serving. Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and basil if desired.
Original Recipes visit: Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato and Basil Soup @ thechunkychef.com