1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 stalk celery, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon crushed pepper flakes
1 cup chicken broth
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons butter
¼-1/2 cup heavy cream, optional
chopped parsley or fresh basil for garnish
For the croutons:
4 slices sourdough bread
4 slices cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Strain tomatoes, reserving the juices, and spread onto a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper to taste then drizzle ¼ cup olive oil. Roast until caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the celery, carrot, onion and garlic, cook until softened (about 10 minutes). Add the roasted tomatoes, tomato juices, red pepper flakes, chicken broth, bay leaf and butter. Simmer until vegetables are tender (about 15-20 minutes). Add basil or parsley and cream. The heavy cream is optional an you can start with ¼cup and more based on your preference. Puree using a hand held immersion blender until smooth.
- For the grilled cheese croutons:
- butter your butter and grill. Place two slices of cheese in between your bread. Heat until cheese is melted.
- Cut into bite size pieces.
Original Recipes visit: Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons @ apumpkinandaprincess.com