4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 pound of chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
14 oz smoked sausage, sliced on the diagonal
4 cloves of garlic, minced
quart of low-sodium chicken broth
2 1/2 cups of heavy cream
1 pound of dried penne pasta
1 1/2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning plus more for topping
4 oz of freshly shredded parmesan cheese
1 cup of Italian flat leaf parsley, minced
- Start with a large covered cooking pot.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown in olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add sausage and continue to cook until lightly browned.
- Stir in garlic and cook for for about two minutes.
- Add chicken broth, heavy cream, dried pasta and cajun seasoning to pot.
- Stir together and bring to a simmer over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and let cook covered for 15-20 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in parmesan cheese.
- Stir in chopped parsley and sprinkle with additional cajun seasoning to taste.