15 oz chicken breast (2 large breasts)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 a head of cauliflower (4 cups)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 package Organic Elbow Macaroni Noodles
For the Sauce
3 cups 1% milk (or any kind, even dairy free)
3 tablespoons tapioca flour
8 oz cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and spray casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Chop cauliflower into 1 1/2 inch chunks. Place in casserole dish.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown for a minute to a minute and a half on each side. Then, slice chicken into chunks and place in casserole dish. Set aside.
- Make cheese sauce by heating 3 cups of 1% milk over medium/high heat while stirring consistently. Once simmering, add in tapioca flour one tablespoon at a time and continue whisk so that milk does not burn.
- Once milk starts to thicken (8-10 minutes in), turn down to low heat and slowly add in 8 ounces of shredded white cheddar cheese. Don’t forget to continue whisking! Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder into cheese sauce.
- Pour cheese sauce over the top of chicken/cauliflower and then add 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Mix until everything is combined.
- Place in oven at 375ºF for 30 minutes (uncovered). Remove and add in noodles. *Bake for 5 minutes. Remove and stir. Place back in and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Remove casserole from oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Continue to to stir often to release heat so that the noodles do not continue to cook.
- Once casserole is cooled, top with optional bread crumbs, bacon, and green onions.
*truRoots Ancient Grain Elbow Pasta cooks quickly and will continue to cook when taken out of the oven. Be conscious of this as you check the noodles after 5 minutes. Everyone’s oven is a little bit different, so watch out that your noodles don’t turn to mush!
Original Recipes visit: Cauliflower Mac n’ Chicken Casserole @ fitfoodiefinds.com