½ cup butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 large celery stalks, finely chopped
1 large carrot, shredded or finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3-5 garlic cloves)
1 (12 ounce) jar jalapeno slices, coarsely chopped with jarred juices saved
½ cup flour
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1½ cups milk
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cubed
Salt and pepper, to taste
Croutons for topping
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Place onion, celery, carrots, garlic, and jalapeno slices (not juices) in the stockpot with the butter. Saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- When vegetables are tender, add flour and stir to combine. Allow to heat for about 2 minutes until mixture is heated and golden.
- Add chicken or vegetable broth to the flour mixture, a little at a time, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- Stir in milk and jarred jalapeno juices. Allow mixture to heat through, and thicken slightly, about 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- When mixture is hot and thickened, add the cream cheese and stir until combined.
- Serve warm topped with croutons. To freeze, place in a freezer storage container, and place in the freezer until ready for use.
Original Recipes visit: Jalapeno Popper Soup @ thegraciouswife.com