2 med/large sweet potatoes peeled and sliced into thin rounds
Coconut oil for coating dish and sea salt, for roasting
1 med onion, diced
1 large or 2 small red bell peppers, diced
Pinch of salt
1 lb bulk sausage (or casings removed) turkey or pork (sugar-free or homemade for Whole30 compliance)
12 large eggs
⅓ cup coconut milk, full fat canned
½ tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp cumin
¼ cup nutritional yeast
1 cup salsa, paleo (no sugar added, check ingredients)
fresh cilantro and avocado for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and grease a 9×13 baking dish with coconut oil
- Arrange the sweet potato rounds over the bottom of the dish sprinkle with salt and roast for 30 mins. Once potatoes are soft, remove and set aside, then lower the heat to 400.
- While potatoes are roasting, heat a large skillet over med heat and add 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent then add peppers and cook 2-3 minutes, then add sausage and cook while breaking up lumps and stirring. Once toasty, remove from heat and drain excess fat, if needed.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs well with coconut milk, nutritional yeast, chili powder, cumin and salt
- Layer the sausage mixture over the sweet potatoes, then spread salsa over the top. Pour egg mixture over everything evenly.
- Bake at 400 for 30 minutes until center is set, allow to sit 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving. Garnish with cilantro and avocado, enjoy!
Original Recipes visit: Mexican Breakfast Casserole (Paleo & Whole30) @ paleorunningmomma.com