2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion diced
2 stalks celery diced
3 cloves garlic minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon powdered adobo seasoning optional
1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder or other chili powder
2 pounds ground turkey I use one pound extra lean and one pound regular
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 pound tomatillos peeled and quartered
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce note – do not use the entire can of chilis — only 1 pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 green bell pepper seeded and diced
1 poblano pepper seeded and diced
1 jalapeño pepper seeded and diced
1 4 ounce can green chilies
1 15 ounce can great northern beans rinsed and drained
1 cup cilantro chopped, + more for garnish
1 tablespoon corn meal
salt and pepper to taste
Monterey Jack or Cheddar Cheese, shredded
green onion diced
- In a large dutch oven heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions, celery, garlic and salt. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes until vegetables are softened and fragrant. Stir in cumin, adobo, chili powder and cook for an additional minute.
- Add ground turkey, breaking up lumps with the back of a wooden spoon. Brown the turkey while incorporating it into the vegetables. Add oregano and bay leaves, continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- While turkey is simmering, place tomatillos, chipotle pepper (and a teaspoon of sauce from the canned peppers if desired) into the bowl of a blender or food processor. Add chicken broth and blend to the consistency of a salsa.
- Pour tomatillo mixture into the turkey and stir. Add bell pepper, poblano, jalapeño and can of green chilies and stir. Bring mixture to a boil. Place lid on the pot so that it’s mostly covered but steam can still escape. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beans and cornmeal. Simmer 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Check for seasoning, adding salt, pepper or more spice if desired.
- Ladle chili into bowls and serve with optional accompaniments.
Original Recipes visit: Tomatillo Turkey Chili @ garlicandzest.com