A creole style shrimp soup with bacon and cheddar cornmeal dumplings!
Recipe by: closetcooking.com
4 slices bacon
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup bell pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
1/4 cup flour (or rice flour)
4 cups chicken broth (or shrimp broth)
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (or 4 cups fresh tomatoes, diced)
1 tablespoon creole seasoning
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon TABASCO sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
3/4 cup flour (or rice flour)
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup buttermilk (or milk)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup green onions, sliced
1 pound shrimp, shelled and deviened
salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- Cook the bacon in a large sauce pan until crispy and set aside.
- Add the onion, celery and peppers to the sauce pan and cook in the bacon grease over medium-high heat until tender and slightly golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the broth and deglaze the pan by scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon while the broth simmers. READ MORE