2 pounds Vidalia onions, peeled and sliced
⅓ cup olive oil
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 baguette, sliced
- Heat ¼ cup olive oil in a large oven safe skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and stir to coat with oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Cook onions, stirring occasionally to avoid burning until onions are tender and slightly caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Place cooked onions in a small dish and set aside.
- Return skillet to stove over medium heat and add remaining olive oil.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Add chicken and cook until all sides are brown and cooked thoroughly.
- Remove chicken from skillet.
- Increase temperature to high. Add in beef broth and deglaze skillet.
- Reduce temperature back to medium. Gradually whisk in flour until broth is thicken. Season with a pinch of salt, pepper and thyme.
- Stir in cooked chicken and onions until combined with beef gravy.
- Sprinkle with Swiss cheese and place in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes until cheese in melted and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of thyme if desired.
- To serve, place a few baguette slices in a shallow bowl. Top with chicken and gravy. Serve warm.
Alternatively you could serve over cooked egg noodles or rice.
Original recipe visit: French Onion Chicken @ motherthyme.com