1 cup (120 g) whole wheat pastry flour*
1 cup (80 g) old fashioned rolled oats**
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 large egg
1 cup (225 g) plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup (120 ml) unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup (50 g) brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 medium-sized apple (120 g), peeled, cored, and grated
1/2 cup (80 g) raisins
- Preheat your oven to 350F (176C) and prepare a muffin pan by spraying the cavities with cooking spray or lining them with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Lightly beat the egg in a separate bowl. Whisk in the yogurt, applesauce, brown sugar, vanilla, and grated apple, stirring until well-combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing gently until just combined. Fold in the raisins.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups, filling them almost to the top. Add a sprinkle of oats if desired.
- Bake the muffins for 20-22 minutes, or until top is firm to the touch and toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool in pan for ~10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store them in an air-tight container for up to 5 days, or freeze them for up to 3 months.
* You can also use a mix of all-purpose and whole wheat. I’d suggest 1/2 cup (60 g) of AP and 1/2 cup (60 g) of whole wheat.
** Do not use quick oats. They are too fine and will dry out the muffins too much.
Original recipe visit: Apple Oat Greek Yogurt Muffins @ runningwithspoons.com