2 cups all-purpose flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded zucchini see note
1 cup shredded apple (one medium apple I used gala)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with a non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, soda, sugar and salt).
- Add shredded zucchini and apple. Stir to coat with the dry ingredients.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together buttermilk, vanilla, oil and egg.
- Add to the dry ingredients and stir in with a spatula or a wooden spoon. Do not overmix. Lumpy batter is okay.
- Using a regular ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the muffin pan, filling one scoop per muffin. You may have two scoops of batter left in your bowl so either make two more muffins, or divide the batter evenly among filled cups.
- Bake muffins in 400 degrees F for 5 minutes. Without opening the oven door, lower the temperature to 375 degrees F and continue baking for 12 minutes. Check the muffins with a toothpick or a dry spaghetti noodle to see if done baking. If the muffins are too pale on top, add two more minutes of baking. They should have golden brown edges and golden tops.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove onto a cooling rack, plate or cutting board.
It is very important to squeeze as much moisture from the shredded zucchini and apple as possible. To do so, place shredded zucchini and apple on a stack of two paper towels and squeeze in your hands over the sink. You can use a colander with small holes but the paper towel method works the best.
Original recipe visit: Apple Zucchini Muffins @ crunchycreamysweet.com