Buckeye Balls Recipe – This recipe for buckeye balls is the classic peanut butter balls dipped in dark or white chocolate.
Servings: 20 buckeye balls
1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter at room temperature
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar sifted
8 ounces chocolate chips or candy melts/almond bark can be dark chocolate, white chocolate or both
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
optional: 1/2 cup holiday sprinkles
- Place the peanut butter, butter and powdered sugar in a large bowl.
- Mix until the ingredients are incorporated, then knead with your hands until a smooth dough forms.
- Shape the dough into tablespoon sized balls and place on a sheet pan that’s been lined with parchment paper.
- Refrigerate the peanut butter balls for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the chocolate chips and shortening in a medium bowl. If using 2 types of chocolate, place 4 ounces of each chocolate with 1 tablespoon shortening into 2 bowls.
- Microwave the chocolate in 30 second intervals or until melted. Stir until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Remove the buckeye balls from the fridge. Use a toothpick to pick up each ball and and dip it into the melted chocolate. Quickly roll the ball in sprinkles if using (optional). Repeat with each ball. Use your finger to smooth over the top of each ball to remove the mark from the toothpick.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set, then serve.