Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting Recipe – Super soft, perfectly moist Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting. If you love peanut butter cups – then these chocolate peanut butter cupcakes are for you!
Recipe by: justsotasty.com
Servings: 20 Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
1 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 large eggs* room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup sour cream*
1/2 cup buttermilk* room temperature*
For the Peanut Butter Buttercream
1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
3/4 cup peanut butter do not use natural, homemade or whipped
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-4 tablespoons whipping cream*
peanut butter cups, peanuts or sprinkles for decorating
- Buttermilk, eggs and sour cream should be room temperature before making the cupcake batter.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, add 1 teaspoon distilled vinegar to a liquid measuring cup. Add in 1/2 cup milk (1% or 2%) and stir the mixture. Let it stand for 5 minutes before using.
- Do not fill the cupcake liners more than 1/2 – 2/3 full. If you end up with 14-16 cupcakes, then they are likely too full. Otherwise, they can sink in the middle.
- Make-ahead Tips: Cupcakes can be made 1 day ahead, cooled fully, and then stored in an airtight container overnight at room temperature. Frost the cupcakes the day you plan to serve. Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen for up to 2 months in an airtight container, then thaw in the fridge and bring to room temperature before frosting and serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Nutrition information is based on 1 cupcake, with the recipe yielding 20 cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 365F degrees and line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners. You will get 18-20 cupcakes in total.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl – whisk together the oil, sugars, eggs and vanilla.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir in the sour cream. READ MORE