1 pound chicken breasts chopped bite size
2 cups uncooked small macaroni
3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
3 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4-6 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup flour
5 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
2 14.5 oz. cans fire roasted diced tomatoes, NOT drained, with garlic
1 teaspoon sugar
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
1 teaspoon dried parsley or 1 tablespoon fresh
1/2 tsp EACH dried oregano. cumin, salt
1/4 tsp EACH red pepper flakes, pepper
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil, chopped
2 cups heavy cream or half and half*
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large Dutch oven/soup pot over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until almost cooked through. Remove to a plate.
- Melt butter with 1 tablespoon olive oil in the now empty pot and heat over medium high heat. Add onions and carrots and cook, while stirring, for 4 minutes.
- Add 1 more tablespoon olive oil, celery, red bell peppers and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle in flour and cook, while stirring, for 3 minutes (it will be thick). Gradually stir in chicken stock followed by tomatoes, sugar, bay leaves and all remaining herbs and spices. Bring to a boil; cover, and reduce to a gentle simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and chicken is completely cooked through.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese until smooth followed by heavy cream/half and half. Stir in pasta and chicken. If you would like a less “chunky” soup, stir in additional broth or cream/half and half.
- Garnish individual servings with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and basil (optional) and season with salt and pepper to taste.
*Soup will not be as creamy if you use half and half but still delicious!
Original Recipes visit: Creamy Basil Parmesan Italian Soup @ carlsbadcravings.com