1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 box German Chocolate Cake mix, *prepared
eggs, water, and oil as directed on cake mix package
4 cups (or 1 pound box) powdered sugar
1 (8ounce) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 9×13 cake pan.
- Sprinkle coconut and pecans over bottom of the cake pan.
- Prepare cake mix per package instructions on box (or you can use your favorite German Chocolate Cake recipe)
- Pour cake batter over coconut and pecans.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in medium bowl until well blended, slowly add powdered sugar and continue beating until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon cream cheese mixture over cake batter – do NOT mix in.
- Bake on middle rack in oven for 50-55 minutes.
- Cool completely in the pan before serving To serve, cut into serving-size pieces and, using a spatula, remove from the pan and turn upside-down on plates and enjoy!
- feel free to double up the coconut and pecans for even more deliciousness!
- there is no need to invert the whole cake before serving. Leave the cake in the pan; cut into individual pieces and serve with coconut and pecans on bottom, or invert each piece as you plate it.
- store left over cake on the counter or in refrigerator.
Original Recipes visit: Gooey Upside Down German Chocolate Cake @ tidymom.net