2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large shallot, chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
2 cups chopped mushrooms
2 – 3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
2 bay leaves
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Lentils
2 cups vegetable broth
2 1/2 cups water, divided
1 teaspoon miso paste (optional)*
1/2 cup red quinoa (or variety of choice), uncooked
4 – 5 cups fresh spinach
Salt + pepper to taste
Olive oil, fresh herbs and grated cashews* to garnish
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven or cast iron pot. Add shallots and carrots and cook until the carrots have started to soften, about 3 – 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms are juicy and tender, another 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, red pepper flakes and herbs. Stir around until the whole mixture becomes fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Pour in lentils, broth, 2 cups of water and miso (if using). Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and reduce to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and add quinoa and remaining water. Stir to combine. Bring the mixture back to a boil, recover and reduce to simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Remove pot from the heat, uncover and add spinach, stirring gently to combine. Taste (carefully!) and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, fresh herbs and grated cashews.
Original Recipes visit: One-Pot Lentils & Quinoa with Spinach @ simplyquinoa.com