Red Velvet Whoopie Pies with Cream Cheese Recipe – Soft, cake-like cookies sandwiched with a smooth sweet cream cheese frosting.
The moment I took a bite I fell in love. Soft pillowy cake-like cookies. Although the recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder, they don’t taste like a vanilla or a chocolate cake. It’s different, but in a delicious way.
Once you sandwich them with smooth sweet cream cheese sandwich you’re in heaven. Think layer cake goodness but in a 3 bite-size cookie. AH-mazing!
Servings: 15 whoopie pies
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) butter, softened
- 1 cup (200 grams) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (10 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring (liquid not paste)
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 4 ounce package softened cream cheese
- 7 ounce marshmallow creme
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.
- Add, to the cream mixture, the dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition just until combined.
- Stir in food coloring
- Using a medium size ice-cream scoop, drop batter on the prepared baking sheets and bake in preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until tops are set.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- In medium mixing bowl beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Fold in marshmallow creme
- To sandwich the cookies, spoon a little frosting on the flat side of one cookie. top with another one.