1 pound sweet Italian sausage (I use turkey sausage)
3/4 pound lean ground beef
1/2 c onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2(6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 T sugar
1 1/2 t dried basil leaves
1/2 t fennel seeds (I usually omit this)
1 t Italian seasoning
1 T salt (I usually reduce to a couple teaspoons)
1/4 t ground black pepper
4 T chopped fresh parsley
12 lasagna noodles (regular or no cook. I usually use no cook noodles.)
16 ounces ricotta cheese
1/2 t salt
3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
3/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until cooked through and browned.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water, and stir everything together.
- Add sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 T salt, pepper, and 2 T parsley, and stir to combine.
- Simmer, covered, for at least 1½ hours, stirring occasionally. I usually try to simmer for as long as possible.
- If using regular lasagna noodles, cook according to package instructions and drain.
- In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg, remaining parsley, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To assemble, spread 1½ cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Arrange a single layer of noodles over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon 1½ cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Original Recipes visit: World’s Best Lasagna @ cupcakesandkalechips.com