2 medium boiled potatoes, cut into cubes
3 medium tomatoes, pureed
½ cup green peas, I used frozen green peas
2 teaspoons oil, use any oil of choice
1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
¼ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon red chili powder, or adjust to taste
¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
1.5 teaspoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
2 cups water
salt, to taste
- Heat oil in pan on medium heat. Add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and cook for 1-2 minute till the raw smell goes away.
- Add the pureed tomatoes. Add little salt, give a stir and cover and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and add turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, red chili powder. Adjust spice levels to taste.
- Add more salt as required at this point. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- After the tomatoes have cooked for more than 10 minutes, add 2 cups water.
- Let it all come to a boil and then add cubed boiled potatoes and green peas to it. I have used frozen peas here which I put it warm water for 10 minutes before adding to the curry.
- Cover the pan and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes. Add chopped cilantro and mix.
- Serve aloo matar with any bread of your choice. It’s also great with plain rice.
Original Recipes visit: Aloo Matar @ cookwithmanali.com