Best Clam Chowder Recipe – A classic clam chowder recipe for any time of year, with perfect tastes of bacon and clams. The flavors mingle together into a delicious Best Clam Chowder!
8 bacon strips, divided
2 Tbsp. butter
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 leek, finely chopped (or 1 shallot)
1 large onion, chopped
2–3 garlic cloves, minced
3–4 small unpeeled potatoes (red potatoes or Yukon gold), cubed into 1/2-inch pieces (optional to peel)
2 cups broth, chicken or vegetable
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups half-and-half, divided
3 cans 6-1/2 ounces each of chopped clams, undrained
Chopped fresh chives or green onions, for garnish
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; set aside. Add butter to the drippings (you can spoon out some of the drippings if you don’t want to ues that much); saute celery, leek, and onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the potatoes, broth, salt, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and 1 cup half-and-half until smooth. Gradually stir into the soup.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in clams and juice and remaining half-and-half; heat through (do not boil). Turn down to low heat; add the bay leaf. Cook for additional 2-3 minutes on low heat. Add in 4 strips of crumbled bacon.
- Crumble the reserved 4 strips of bacon. Garnish chowder with crumbled bacon and fresh chopped chives or green onions thinly sliced.
Keywords: Clam Chowder, Chowder Recipes