1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thin sliced or pounded to ½” thickness
1 cup blanched almond flour*
¼ cup coconut flour*
1 and ¼ tsp fine grain sea salt
⅛ tsp black pepper
2 tsp Italian seasoning blend <–My favorite
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
dash red pepper flakes, optional
1 egg, whisked
3 tbsp coconut oil + 2 tbsp ghee for frying**
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium shallow bowl (you will dredge the cutlets in the mixture)
- Have your whisked egg in a shallow bowl, heat a large, heavy, deep skillet over medium heat and add 3 tbsp total of cooking fat (a combination of ghee and coconut oil, or all coconut.) Depending on the size of your skillet, you might have to fry these in 2 batches, so have additional cooking fat ready in case you need more.
- Once the skillet it preheated (you can see if a drop of the dry mixture sizzles), dip one cutlet in the egg, shaking off excess, then coat in the dry mixture, shaking off excess. Place the chicken in the pan, then repeat the process for each piece of chicken.
- Cook on one side until medium-golden brown (2 minutes) and crisp, then carefully turn over the chicken with tongs and cook the second side until golden brown and juices run clear, about 2 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken***
- Carefully remove chicken cutlets from skillet with tongs and place on a paper-towel lined plate to absorb excess grease. Serve hot with baked fries, sweet potatoes, or butternut squash fries! Enjoy!
*You will likely have a bit of this mixture leftover, but I recommend using this amount to ensure you have enough to dredge all the cutlets without things getting sticky!
**I love this specific combination for how it helps the cutlets brown without burning, however you can easily use all coconut oil to fry the cutlets.
***You might need to adjust the heat and/or add more fat to the skillet while cooking the second side, as well as for the second batch.
Original recipe and more pictures visit: “Breaded” Paleo Chicken Cutlets (Whole30) @ paleorunningmomma.com