Easy Cauliflower Cheddar Soup – This smooth, creamy cauliflower soup with sharp cheddar cheese is absolutely what you want on a chilly day. It’s ready in under an hour. Serve with some crusty bread and a side salad!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced onion
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery (about 2 to 3 ribs)
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot (1 small carrot)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced, about 1 1/2 to 2 cups
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 6 cups roughly chopped cauliflower (see How to Cut and Core Cauliflower)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Sauté the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic:
Heat butter in a large 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven or thick bottomed pot on medium high heat. Add the onions, celery, and carrots.
Cook for 5 to 8 minutes until the onions are softened. Add the minced garlic and cook a minute more.
Add the potatoes, stock, cauliflower, bay leaves, thyme, salt and black pepper:
Heat on high and bring the stock to a simmer. Lower the heat to maintain a simmer. Partially cover and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are completely tender.
Purée until smooth:
Remove from heat and remove the bay leaves. Either using an immersion blender or a standing blender, purée the soup mixture until completely smooth.
Add the cheddar cheese and Worcestershire:
Slowly add the grated cheddar cheese, continuing to purée the soup as you add the cheese, until completely blended. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce.
Add more salt and pepper to taste, if needed.