3 lbs red potatoes
chicken stock (enough to cover potatoes)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
4 cups half-and-half
4 cups milk
16 oz Velveeta cheese melted
3 cans Campbell’s Cheddar Cheese soup
2 tsp Black pepper more or less, to taste
2 tsp Garlic powder more or less, to taste
1 1/2 – 2 tsp hot sauce
1/2 lb bacon cooked and crumbled
1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
Fresh chives chopped
- Wash and scrub potatoes. Dry, and dice into 1/2″ cubes. Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with chicken stock, bring to a boil. Boil for approximately 10 minutes, or until they are 3/4 of the way cooked. Drain and set aside.
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot, melt butter over MED heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Let flour mixture cook about 1-2 minutes.
- Carefully pour in half and half and milk, whisking constantly. Continue whisking until liquid is smooth and starts to thicken slightly.
- Add in melted Velveeta cheese and whisk to combine. Add in the cans of cheddar cheese soup and whisk until everything is smooth.
- Stir in hot sauce, pepper and garlic powder.
- Add in boiled potatoes, stir, and place lid on pot.
- Cook over LOW heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To Serve:
- Top individual servings with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon and fresh chives.
This soup is supposed to be ultra creamy, like the original O’Charley’s version. If you aren’t a fan of milk/half and half based soups, then try substituting some of the half and half for chicken stock
Original Recipes visit: Copycat Loaded Baked Potato Soup @ thechunkychef.com